Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Happy Snow Day!

Spring in Northern MI - flowers one day, a foot of snow the next!
I'm so glad I broke my 'no picking the spring flowers' rule.  We've been trying for 4 years to get the crocuses, tulips, and daffodils to spread.  Somehow in my mind it seemed like picking the blooms would hinder this.  I really have no idea why.  When the boys said "Mama, look at all the pretty flowers!  Can we pick some for you?"  I said no automatically.  Of course, I got a "Why?" back.  And then I started to try to explain my theory, which started sounding more ridiculous the longer I talked, and ended with me saying, "You know what, never mind, that might be the silliest thing I've said all week.  Yes, lets pick some."  Nothing quite like getting shown how trivial something is by a couple of 8 year-olds.   Now, I am so happy we picked them because at 5:42 this morning I got every child favorite phone call, SNOW DAY!  We got around 8 inches of heavy, wet snow.


I spent a good couple of hours this morning snuggled up like this.  I think M must be coming down with something, he never sits still that long.  So, during nap time today I kicked Daddy and boys outside, with Daddy under the impression that I needed the child free time to finish knitting items for the Easter baskets.  Really, I just needed everyone to stop touching me for 5 minutes.  My patience is a bit wobbly this week.

Why, yes, those are 3 foot tall snowballs in my front yard.
The boys wanted to make 'the largest snowballs, ever!'  This was as big as Andy could roll them.  The neighbor girls were so impressed they nagged their Mama into calling to see if they could play too.  There's few things that entertain me more than listening to the conversations these kids have.  7 - 9 year olds have crazy imaginations.  

The last snowman of the season.  I hope.
They also built me a fantastic snowman right outside the kitchen window.  "So you can look at it while you do the dishes, Mama!"  Clearly, Daddy did some coaching.  The real message is 'daytime child free knitting time = get out of dish duty.  I can live with that. 

No comments: