Friday, January 13, 2012

Snow Day

Just sitting on the couch trying to make a dent in the mending pile when it occurred to me, how many people even have a mending pile anymore?  I'd like to think that most people can manage to replace a button if one should happen to fall off their shirt, but how many would bother to sew up a tear in anything?  My parents, especially my Dad bring me things to be repaired.  And my brother saves up all his mending to bring to me when he comes home from Sweden once a year.  Aren't I a lucky girl?!  Actually, fixing something so it can be useful again does make me feel good and... well, useful.  But really the best part about mending today is that while I was accomplishing something I also was able to listen to Drew tell me (in a very round-a-bout and lengthy manner) about the book he's been reading without wishing he would hurry up.  And I also overheard Ian playing with the 'Captain Underpants' he built out of duplo legos, which was epic and hilarious.  I'm so glad I didn't miss that.

2 comments:

Syntax and Salt said...

I feel like things like working through a mending pile, or even sometimes folding laundry, really provide a moment where your hands are occupied and your mind is just clear enough to be present. Not to mention the satisfaction of completing the small jobs that are a part of the larger project.

moonshinejunkyard said...

i totally have a mending pile. only i'm terrible at mending and put it off as long as possible so it grows and grows in spades. and sometimes i foist it off on my mama! anyway sounds cozy over there!