Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sewing with Drew

Drew came home from school on Friday, watched me knitting on my new slippers for a few minutes, and said "Mama, I want to knit." Yipee!! Finally, one of my boys wants to learn to knit! So I said (as calmly as I could) "Okay, let's go to the sewing room and pick out some yarn." To which he replied "Not with yarn, Mama, with fabric." Huh? "You want to knit with fabric?" "Yeah," he said, " I want to make a pillow for Zuzu (an alien) and my Monster Chunk." Ohhhh.... "You mean you want to sew?" "Yeah, sew. Zuzu needs a pillow and he'll share with my Monster Chunk." Okay, so it's not knitting but, wanting to sew with me is still pretty cool and some awesome Mama/Drew time. So off we went to search the fabric stash for the perfect fabric. And out of all the fabric, and you know I mean All the fabric, I have he would pick plain blue! At least he picked red thread to set it off a little. He helped me cut it out and then I had the epiphany to use safety pins to pin it. That may sound like a giant "DUH!" to some of you, but I felt so very smart to think of it. I figured he'd poke himself enough using a needle for the first time without adding straight pins to the mix.


I think he did very well for his first time. His stitches are pretty straight and not too huge. But most impressive of all is that he actually finished it all in one day. That's some serious commitment from my bouncy boy. He took it and the lucky recipients to bed with him that night. The next morning he told me, "Mama, Zuzu and Monster Chunk slept GREAT last night. They really like their new pillow!" Too cute and so much fun. Thanks for sewing with me Drew, you made my day.

No comments: