Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The First Clothesline of Spring!

Mmmmm.....I love spring. It's currently 68 and sunny here, kinda windy but I'll so take it. It just makes the clothes on the line dry faster. And let me tell you how excited I am to be using my clothesline again. See, I hate the dryer. It's a waste of energy, it sets in stains, it shrinks and wears out our clothes faster. Since, we live in a older house we have great big, 12" square hole-in-the-floor heat vents. So all winter I have two of those folding drying racks set up over the bigger vents (and shirts on hangers hanging in random places) and dry our clothes that way. But, I can only hang one maybe two loads at a time, so I have to do laundry every day to keep up. Don't get me wrong, I love that I can heat our house and dry our clothes at the same time, with the bonus of adding much needed humidity, but, I get really tired of doing laundry every day. Needless to say, when I checked the weather this morning and it claimed the high would be around 65 (after a week in the low 40's), I was super happy. Yippee! I get to use the clothesline again! I actually like hang clothes up. It's soothing and repetitive and brainless. I like the *snap* of shaking the clothes out before I pin them up. I like that if I missed a stain I get another chance to get it out. I like the me time that I get when (after the smalls are in bed) I go outside and fold our clothes as I take them down, it's time to think and reflect without feeling like I'm ignoring my family or missing something. I LOVE the way the clothes and especially the sheets smell when I bring them in. Ooohhh, the sheets. Today as I was hanging the laundry, Husband was moving the compost pile onto the garden and working it in. My first thought was, "Don't do that now, it'll make the laundry stink." As I took a breath to ask him to do it later, I realized it didn't stink, in fact, it smelled good. Weird, right? I couldn't believe it, I think I'm still happily surprised. And it's nice to be surprised once in a while, no?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi! I couldn't find an email address for you, but wanted to let you know that you won the free copy of Organically Raised from the recent Hip Mountain Mama giveaway! Email me at suzy@hipmountainmama.com and I can get you in touch with Anni to work out details on getting you the book!
Thanks so much!
Suzy

6512 and growing said...

Good smelling compost is the best! Mine is still water-logged, sun-starved and stinky!
Some day I'd love to hear about your twins' preemie births. Let me know if there's a post on that.