Saturday, April 17, 2010

Bands and Bagels


This morning I got to sleep in obscenely late (10:30!), I then had just enough time to quickly scramble an egg before attending the latest 'The Fox Band' concert, which the band members had graciously postponed until their sleepy Mama got with the program. Ian played songs on both the bongos and keyboard. Drew debuted a new original composition entitled "Foxes Are Mammals" while accompanying himself on the guitar.

Foxes Are Mammals

Foxes are mammals, they eat meat and hunt!
for animals for food to eat in spring

so they will not die to death
so they will never die

The mama will take care of the babies

so the babies will not die to their death
so they will never die


I just can't decide what to think about this song. On one hand, I'm glad my boys understand the whole circle of life theory. On the other, it's slightly disturbing to hear a 7 year old sing a song that seems so death centered. Neither of them seemed to think that there was anything unusual about this song and my parents had a hard time containing their chuckles during an encore performance this afternoon, so I'm trying to let it go and move on.

Husband and I made bagels together today. Mmmm, I love homemade onion bagels. Which is kind of weird, since I don't really like onions. Anyway, apparently I'm in a rather reflective mood today, because I realized just how well we can work together. Andy is a union electrician, sort of. See, he was laid off two weeks before Christmas 2008. So that means that for almost a year and a half we have been together all day, every day. Don't get me wrong we do have our small fights, but it really has been very good over all. I'm quite proud of us. Drew and Ian, of course, just love having Daddy home to play with all the time. And we eat much better with Daddy home to do the cooking. Our budget is squeaky tight obviously, but we have time to make things from food to furniture to presents from scratch and that, to me, is a very satisfying feeling.

1 comment:

Syntax and Salt said...

You are so awesome. SO AWESOME.